ST. PAUL’S ALTAR BOYS
The Church makes available to all boys the opportunity to serve in the Holy Altar as Acolytes.
The word “acolyte” comes from the Greek word “akoulotheo” meaning “to follow” and the service of our young men at the Lord’s altar on Sundays and special holidays like Christmas, Holy Week and Pascha is a part of their calling to follow Jesus Christ and serve His Church. The Altar boys assist the priest on Sunday morning, and during other special services throughout the year, and serve under the direct supervision of the priest.
If you or your son would like to serve in the Altar, please contact Fr. Spyridon Vandoros directly. Boys must be in 7-8 years 0f age (Grade 2) or older.
Click here to open the Altar Servers Guide which explains what is expected of the Altar boys.
In the Orthodox Faith there are seven sacraments, which by the divine Grace of God are granted directly to the members of the Church. These sacred ceremonies have been instituted either by Christ or by His Apostles. The number seven was determined in the 13th century
Birth, marriage, and death form the basis for three essential sacramental services of the Greek Orthodox Church, the celebration and observation of these important events are also characterized by special Greek customs and social traditions.
The Orthodox Church in every service and especially at every Divine Liturgy calls upon the people to pray to God for the union of all Christians.
THE SEVEN SACRAMENTS OF THE GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH
- Baptism – the Christian rite of initiation in the Church (Baptism Responsibilities) (Baptism Form) (Membership Verification – Baptism)
- Chrismation – bestows upon us the Holy Spirit
- Holy Communion – receiving the resurrected body and blood of Jesus Christ
- Confession – although all Orthodox Christians are to confess their sins daily to God privately, all are encouraged to participate in the sacrament of Confession with a priest
- Marriage – a sacrament of the Church for it is Christ himself through the priest or bishop that joins the couple together (Marriage Responsibilities) (Marriage Forms) (Membership Verification – Marriage)
- Ordination to the sacred priesthood
- Holy Oil (Unction) – the faithful are anointed for the healing of soul and body, and for the forgiveness of sins